The Extension Committee on Organization and Policy (ECOP) give guidance to issues impacting the Cooperative Extension System (System) and in March 2014 they provided guidance on issues related to Health & Wellness through an executive summary.
The following is a link to the ECOP Health Task Force Executive Summary (March 2014) https://www.aplu.org/document.doc?id=5115
The six Strategic Program Priorities to focus the work of health extension are:
1. Integrated Nutrition, Health, Environment, and Agricultural Systems – Improving the health of the nation requires working across systems.
2. Health Literacy – Health literacy can be defined as the ability to obtain, understand,
and act upon health information and services.
3. Health Insurance Literacy -This refers to the degree to which individuals have the
knowledge, ability, and confidence to find and evaluate information about health
plans, select the best plan for their circumstances, and use the plan once enrolled.
4. Chronic Disease Prevention and Management – The goals of chronic disease
prevention and management are to prevent disease occurrence, delay the onset of
disease and disability, lessen the severity of disease, and improve the health-related
quality and duration of an individual’s life.
5. Positive Youth Development for Health – Positive youth development is an
intentional strategy utilized by organizations that is focused on helping young people
experience thriving trajectories and achieve key developmental outcomes.
6. Health Policy Issues Education – Improving population health will require collective
resolve and action to address the social, economic, and environmental determinants
The Association of Public and Land Grant Universities hosts information about ECOP. Visit http://www.aplu.org/page.aspx?pid=637 for more information
On Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 11:00 am EDT Michelle Rodgers and other members of the committee will discuss the framework, why it came to be, and the vision for improving the public’s health through priority areas.
For more information and to link to location visit https://learn.extension.org/events/1651#.U5sfLrG4Mwc
It will be recorded.